Waringarri Radio 6WR is the number 1 radio station in the East Kimberley and is proud to be the only local community radio station in the area.
To be the Aboriginal voice of the North East Kimberley.
To enhance the lives of our local listeners, employees and the communities we serve by providing entertaining, educational and informative radio broadcasting.
Waringarri Radio 6WR is part of the Waringarri Media Aboriginal Corporation, a successfully locally owned not-for-profit organisation operating for over 25 years.
Waringarri Radio is the number one station in the East Kimberley, and is known for effectively supporting the culture, traditions and language of the local area. On top of providing quality radio service, the key objectives of the organisation are to reinforce indigenous cultural identity, promote trust and friendship among Aboriginal people and the wider Australian community, and provide training and employment to Aboriginal people.
Waringarri Radio 6WR is committed to achieving excellence through the following objectives:
- The provision of access to local radio programming to Aboriginal Community groups in Kununurra and surrounding areas;
- The production of radio programmes on local Aboriginal and community issues which can then be broadcast on other radio stations;
- The provision of access to other forms of media such as television by Aboriginal community groups in Kununurra and surrounding areas;
- The provision of training to Aboriginal people in various aspects of media;
- The promotion of Aboriginal culture and tradition; and
- The promotion of trust and friendship among Aboriginal people and the wider Australian community.
Waringarri broadcasts to the major towns and remote grazing and outback communities of Australia's East Kimberley region, which straddles the West Australian and Northern Territory borders.
In more than 25 years of delivering full-time, 24-hour, 7 day a week operation, we have secured the continuing loyalty of thousands of East Kimberley listeners.
Waringarri Media also manages Tourist Radio 87.6FM which reaches a 30km radius surrounding Kununurra, providing visitors to the area with information on safety, tourist attractions, local business and great local music!
So tune in, and have a listen to our dedicated team of broadcasters, from the land where big rivers flow, and Boab trees grow...Waringarri Radio...693AM.